Sunday, February 26, 2006

Supergrass!


Rachelle and I went into Seattle last night to see one of my favorite bands, Supergrass, from the UK. They are one of those bands (like the Beatles) that I never grow tired of listening to. We have attempted to see Supergrass in the past, twice in San Francisco, but they were always sold out the day the tickets went on sale. This time, we got lucky and found tickets at the Showbox!

Pre-show, we enjoyed a meat-fest at a Brazilian restaurant on first avenue. The format was simple. They bring giant skewers of various meats to your table and you can either take a piece or pass until the next selection. I think I got my fill of meat for a while!

We were surprised by the opening act, a little known band from Texas called Pilot Drift. Their music was really interesting, with influences ranging anywhere from Queen, to Radiohead, the Jellyfish, and even Supergrass. Maybe that's why they were chosen to tour with the band?

They were very talented musicians, and I'm glad we got their early enough to see their set. It was worth it, and we bought their CD, which I do not normally do. Pilot Drift also has a killer Web site.

Supergrass put on a fantastic show, although it did start out a little slow/mellow. Nevertheless, they rocked, and I was thoroughly impressed with Gaz's ability to sing as well live as he does on record. I am always pleased when a band can pull off a live show that rivals or even exceeds the intensity of their studio recordings. I would gladly pay to see them again.

As you can see, we also had some fun in the photo booth they have at the Showbox.

The only downer of the night was having to wait forever for the ferry at 12:45 (we got there at midnight). But hey, that's what we get for living on an island!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, good to hear you are staying with it. Do you have any musician friends there? My lead guitarist friend (Tim) lives here in Texas, and our rhythm friend (Lenny) comes here often on business, and sometimes we get together with Terry, the keyboard player and jam all weekend.

http://www.the-mccanns.com/band.html