Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Sparkle Gold!


At long last, the treasured sparkle gold Ludwig drum kit has emerged from a 3 year slumber. I put the drums in a box when we left San Francisco, and kept telling myself I would get them out and play them as soon as I had the proper space to do so. Being a bit of a procrastinator, that took about 3 years!

My inspiration was a Saturday afternoon jam session at my neighbors house. Their kids were making a bunch of racket with drums, guitars, and keyboards, when I thought to myself, "Self, if the kids can make noise, so can I!". So, I started unpacking them, much to Rachelle's surprise.

We made room in the den, and they seem to be right at home. I ordered a set of new drum heads, and re-sprayed the bass drum hoops which had suffered from several shows I drug them to when I was an aspiring rock star.

So now, here they are (see attached photo)!

I got curious and did some research on the age of the kit. My findings were that the kit itself (toms and bass drum) were made in 1965, and the snare drum was made in 1964. For context, I was made in 1969 (technically 1968).

Although I have gone through phases in my life where I get disconnected from my art, I always manage to come back to it! I'll post another pic of the kit when I install my new heads.

Carry on...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear sir - your drums are radical. Perhaps not as radical as you and Rachelle, but still, rad.

All the best to you and yrs,
D

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you finally have them set up. Hopefully we will get to visit soon and see them in person.

Love from your Mom & Dad