Thursday, March 11, 2010

Three Weeks!

After six years of pursuing my BSCS, I am only three weeks from completion. It has been a long road, with working full time (often more than that), being an attentive husband, and halfway through becoming a father to twin girls, but the end is near. I am pleased that I stuck it out and that Rachelle and the kids put up with me during my academic trek, and I am ready to be DONE--at least until I take a break and consider a Masters in CS or something related. My industry continues to become fiercely competitive, and a Masters can't hurt.

One thing I learned from this late-blooming experience was: don't put off going to college until full, career-having, parental adulthood! It makes everything that much more difficult. Of course, I don't regret spending my twenties pursuing a music career--I had a great time writing songs, playing live, and working in the studio. I also don't regret the choices I made to keep that "side job" at Hewlett Packard, that eventually led me to a fruitful career in software development. Nevertheless, my advice to my girls will be, "go to college, and then figure out what you want to do!"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Two posts in one day. Amazing. :)

I tell my girls that there are only two rules:
(1) Get a bachelors degree from whatever school you like.
(2) Don't get pregnant until you do #1.

Chris Castleberry said...

I felt peer pressure to post more often! :)

And, yeah...#2 is also my mantra. In fact, I would be cool with them putting off dating altogether until they finish college. We'll see if that happens.