Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Joshua Tree is Amazing!


I spent this morning/afternoon driving through Joshua Tree National Park, and all I can say is WOW! This must be one of the most pristine places on the planet. Some of the scenery took my breath away; ok most of it did!!

My drive was solo since Rachelle had more insurance business to attend to today, but I totally wish she could have been there in person to see the expansive beauty of the park. What should have taken me only a few hours ended up stretching out to about seven hours since I had to stop every mile or so to take it all in.

Naturally, there were a lot of Joshua Trees, but I also saw some interesting and colorful scrub grasses, other strange trees and the most interesting cholla cactus. I also came across kangaroo rats, birds of prey, and Jackrabbits at every turn. I didn't encounter any reptiles, but that was probably due to the chilly temperatures. It was quite windy and in the high 50s in the park, which lies at about 3500 feet above sea level (I think).

Aside from the beautiful, and varied landscape, I was impressed by the deep blue sky, and pollution free air. A few times, I hiked off the road a bit and ended up in a world of my own, where all I could hear was the wind, and an occasional unidentified wild-life noise. Standing in nearly complete silence in such an environment was humbling.

Anyhoo, it's back to the soggy (but equally as beautiful) Pacific Northwest tomorrow. I have enjoyed my brief stay in the land of perpetual sun, and hope to return soon.

The attached picture is one of many excellent pix I snapped on my journey. The conditions were perfect.

No comments: