Monday, January 30, 2006

Old Hollywood Hangout


We had an interesting night on Monday. We went to an event put on by one of the large insurance brokers attending the conference that Rachelle is here for. Remember, I am just along for the ride, and the sun.

The social aspect of the event was not much to write home about since I don't know much about corporate insurance, which tends keeps the conversations to a minimum. When I explain that I am a software engineer here with my wife, they usually utter something like, "Ahhh...computers, interesting."

What I found fascinating about the event was the venue. We were bused to the La Quinta Resort, which used to be a regular haunt of some of Hollywood's most memorable stars. I'm talking about the classic folks, like Bette Davis, Clark Gable, Errol Flynn, Katherine Hepburn, Eddie Cantor, Greta Garbo, and Shirley Temple.

We were greeted by a Sinatra look-alike, and treated to some 1940s era music delivered by a live big band. Well, they weren't that big, but that was the genre of music they played, although they did slip in a Steely Dan song. Frank even got into the action with a rendition of "New York, New York". I don't think the insurance folks were paying much attention to the music. After all, this event was really an opportunity for the host company to mingle with clients, and talk business.

I enjoyed the opportunity to visit an historical place I probably would never have seen was it not for the insurance industry, and Rachelle's involvement in it.

Anyway, the picture attached to this post was taken from our hotel room at the Hyatt Grand Champions Resort and Spa.

No comments: