Monday, January 23, 2006

Rollin' on Twenty Fo's


Life seems to be getting more complicated every year. I mean, between a demanding software engineering job, part-time school, and keeping up with the latest gadget du jour, I sometimes feel exhausted!

I was thinking today that I really needed to finish processing the 3500+ digital photos I have taken of various people, places, and things over the last few years. I was also wondering when I was going to find the time to get back to converting my vinyl collection to digital, so I can put my scratchy records on my iPod Photo, or maybe even my iPod shuffle (both gifts for working a lot at the software job). Then, I was wondering when I was going to find the time to get familiar with the video camera I got for my birthday as a means to document our soon-to-be child's every step.

I recently gave up on creating my own custom Web site in favor of this and other ready-made solutions for blogging and posting photos, so that's out of the way!

Sigh...

Sure it seems like whining from some poor, yuppie, geek with too much access to good technology, but I think most of us are in the same boat these days. Too much information, too many choices, and the same limited number of hours in a day.

And, there is a child waiting for us in China. What am I going to do when she comes!?! I guess I'll figure that part out when I need to.

Anyway, there are those times when I feel like a simpler life could be better. I start thinking back to those days when (as a teenager/young adult) I was mostly concerned about driving around aimlessly with my pals, blasting what is now considered "old skool" rap, and just laughing about really ridiculous stuff. Those days will never return, but it is good to reflect on them and it makes me laugh when I think about it, so that in itself reduces the stress and pace of my modern existence.

Oh, and speaking of laughing, just like the guy in this picture, if we had 24 inch rims back in 1986, I am positive they would have been installed on one of our cars. So, when I'm feeling overwhelmed with the multitude of daily tasks, I imagine myself rollin' on twenty Fo's!

2 comments:

Chris Castleberry said...

Dude,

Money only gets you things that you want, not what you need. I have a lot of "things", as I'm sure you do, but that is just gravy.

What keeps me happy is maintaining relationships with the people I care about, which is why I constantly pester you with email! :^)

- Chris

Chris Castleberry said...

Paying attention to family and friends is a good thing and something I have been striving to do more of myself.

Now, if I only knew how to play golf...